Monday, August 4, 2008

I've been tagged! Part I

I have been tagged by Natalie from Koinonia Community! Natalie and her husband Darrell are two beautiful, Godly people and dear friends of mine. You can often tell who truly loves you by their willingness to tell you the truth, even when it might hurt a little. Thanks for the nudge Nat, I love your boldness!

These are the rules:

1) Link to the person who tagged you
2) Post the rules on your blog (this is what you are now reading)
3) Write 6 random things about yourself (see below)
4) Tag 6 people at the end of your post and link to them (This is only a game)
5) Let each person know they have been tagged and leave a comment on their blog
6) Let the tagger know when your entry is up

Here are 6 random things about me....

1) I love my wife and my marriage deeply. One of the first things that I discovered upon surrendering my life fully to Christ was how great a blessing marriage is and what a wonderful gift I had been given in my wife Sherlyn. Prior to the miracle of life change that occurred in my life, divorce was a very real option for me and one that was thought of more often than I care to admit. When I began to view marriage through the eyes of Christ, I began to discover how fulfilling marriage can be when it’s treated with the same value that God places on this special relationship. I now wake up each day next to the a beautiful, Godly women, with great faith and wonderful heart for Christ . God has truly blessed me and given me a gift through marriage that is second only to the gift that was given me on The Cross. Sherlyn, if you are reading this, I know that I often don’t live up to these words but you are my rock, my lover and my friend. I truly believe that God set us apart and preordained that we would find one another and together, begin a journey towards seeking Him, that would change our lives forever and draw us not only closer to God but closer to one another.

2) My biggest fear is that I won’t correctly hear the voice of God when he calls. There is often a battle raging inside of me, constantly wanting to overwhelm me with doubt and uncertainty. Am I good enough? Am I worthy enough? Am I hearing God correctly or is it just my own desires getting in the way? I’ve spent a lot of time in the last year attempting to turn these questions into a healthy self-examination of myself instead of allowing them to lead me to the deep, dark places which tend to tear me down and make me tentative. One of my favorite verses has become Eph 4:1 …Live a life worthy of the calling you have received.” I use this verse to remind myself that while I may not feel worthy or deserving, God still loved me enough and felt my life worthy of saving enough to send His Son to die for me.

3) I constantly suffer from a condition know as couchpotatoidess. This condition is sometimes better know or called in less scientific arenas as laziness! I am lazy… if you don’t believe me, just ask my wife, she’ll tell you! It’s not so much that I don’t like work (I don’t but I’m trying to make a point here!) I would just rather do something else. Why work, when you can play ball, go to the beach, sleep late, play XBOX, read a good book, lie on the couch and watch TV, spend time with friends or go fishing. Man! I could go on and on about stuff that I would rather do than work! Over the years I’ve tried to convince my wife that it’s a good thing to take time out of life and smell the roses but since I’m too lazy to plant a rose garden, she’s just not buying it! Over the years this laziness and it’s close companion, procrastination, have given me much joy but has also had some serious side effects. Let me share one of the more recent events with you. Many of you know that my wife and I have a new puppy. I’ll go ahead and admit right now that I’m the softie that talked my wife into taking this 50+ lb, five month old puppy into our home. I’ll also admit that I’m responsible for spoiling her and letting her get away with too much (including getting on the furniture) but I couldn’t help it, she’s such an adorable puppy (most of the time). Anyway… this past Friday, I left the house early and then my wife and I were out late. So with the exception of a short break in between, she was at home all day by herself. I’ve been out of work since May and this is very unusual for our sweet, adorable puppy, and it must have just been too much for her to handle. For several years now, the back door of our single wide trailer has leaked heavily whenever it rains. As is typical, I’ve not bothered to fix it. For about 2 years, there has been a small hole in the floor near the back door that my industrious wife repaired with some black duct tape. Well, Friday night we come home to find the black duct tape stuck to the paw of our sweet, adorable puppy along with a huge hole in the floor and wood shavings and insulation all over our kitchen floor. Now, because of my couchpotatoidess(which I’m sure is a medical condition and therefore beyond my control) a five minute, five dollar repair job with some weather stripping has turned into an expensive, week long project of redoing the entire kitchen floor.

Speaking of laziness and procrastination… I’m sitting in a coffee shop writing this and I’ve quickly run out of time. I’m close to getting a parking ticket and that kitchen floor is not going to fix itself and if I want to smell the roses later, then I better get to work! I'll finish the last 3 of these along with my link later this week, unless something else comes up ;) !

2 comments:

koinonia community said...

Yay Mike! *Sniff sniff* I'm so proud of you. Now for that couchpotatoiss disorder, you know that the first step to recovery is recognizing that you have a problem!

Sherlyn said...

(1) I too cherish our marriage. It is what keeps me going in this "cruel world". I love you more than words can ever express!

(2) God does have something in store for you. His hand has been directing our life too much for him to stop now. Be patient young grasshopper!

(3) Hmmm....what to say for this one!!! "FIX MY FLOOR!!!!!!!!!!"

I love you very much sweetie!